Monday, October 17, 2011

Auto Independence

I changed a headlight today!
While that might not be super domestic, it is a step in the direction of independence. I had to drive home from Philly on Saturday night with only one headlight, so replacing the right headlight was essential.

Now, you have to understand, the list of car maintenance I am capable of is rather small, so adding something like replacing a headlight is definitely impressive.

I can:
  • Check the oil (although I'm not sure what I'm looking for or how to refill it)
  • Replace the tail-light
  • Replace the headlight (definitely more complicated than the rear lights)
  • Replace my windshield wipers
  • Use my jumper cables to help someone else
  • Call AAA (by far the most important)
I should learn:
  • How to change a tire (thankfully I've never needed to do this, although I should probably know how)
  • Refill the air in my tires
  • Check and refill the wiper fluid
  • Other things I don't even know about.
I feel like car ownership isn't as daunting as it once seemed. As long as nothing goes terribly wrong, I feel like I could fix it...maybe I should think about becoming a mechanic?

No comments:

Post a Comment