Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Project for November

So I think I've decided what my newest project will be: Menu Planning.

It makes sense right? If I only ever really cook for myself, the best way to do it is to plan it out so I can eat leftovers or use the same ingredients in different ways. Otherwise I end up spending $20 or $30 on a meal for one person. And that's just sad. Plus, I figured it's a good way to prepare for the future.

But. It's really kind of hard. I feel like I have a repertoire of maybe 6 meals? 2 of those being frozen pizza (=4-6 meals!) and Kraft Mac and Cheese (3 meals!). Sad. I know. I have the cooking abilities of a 12 year old babysitter...

Let's face it. Grocery stores are HUGE and kind of overwhelming if you don't know exactly what you need. You might be fooled into buying something because it's on sale but you have no idea what to eat with it or when you are going to eat it.

So, one blog suggested a "theme" for each day of the week that becomes the pattern for all of my weeks, so here it is.

Sunday
  • Breakfast - Cereal
  • Lunch - College lunch or go out with friends
  • Dinner - MAC
Monday
  • Breakfast - Bagel Thin
  • Lunch - Tuna
  • Dinner - Pasta
Tuesday
  •  Breakfast - Yogurt
  • Leftover Pasta
  • Roommate night
Wednesday
  • Breakfast - Bagel Thin
  • Lunch - Tuna
  • Crock Pot Meal
Thursday
  • Breakfast - Yogurt
  • Lunch - Crock Pot Leftovers
  • Mexican
Friday
  • Breakfast - Bagel Thin
  • Lunch - Mexican Leftovers
  • Dinner - Chicken/Out
Saturday
  • Breakfast - Cereal
  • Lunch/Dinner - Cooking Light Recipe

Now when do I go grocery shopping? Well, if all else fails, Sunday in between services. But the last time I went they didn't have a great selection of fruits and veggies, so I should maybe try Wednesday after Bible study...we'll see. Or Monday after Small group? That should be my running rest day anyways.

I'm also trying to put together a list of foods/snacks I should always buy.  So far I have:
  1. Yogurt
  2. Cereal
  3. String Cheese
  4. Carrots
  5. Apples
  6. Grapefruit
  7. Celery
  8. Bagel Thins

No comments:

Post a Comment