So I'm not really sure why, but I'm on a Bisquick mailing list type thing. They sound out weekly recipes for all the things you can make with Bisquick (I honestly have only ever used it to make Coffee Cake) and I look at them but never actually try any.
So when they sent out one that talked about Candied Ginger Pumpkin Pancakes, I was intrigued. I have recently become obsessed with all things that contain pumpkin (as long as they don't have too strong of a pumpkin taste or smell) and who doesn't love breakfast for dinner (says the girl who grew up on pancakes and cereal). So I was going to make these for Roommate night, but decided against it. But I still had all the ingredients, so when I happened to have more time to cook on Wednesday with K, I decided it would be fun to try.
Overall, they were kind of fun. They lacked a sweetness to them though. I ended up adding more candied ginger than the recipe called for because I really liked the ginger taste. I also left out pecans because I didn't have any (I also am of the opinion that adding nuts to anything automatically ruins it, same with raisins). Now, I love the taste of bland things; I eat Total and Wheaties and Pancakes without syrup, but these pancakes were bland-even for my super-taster taste-buds. When I added the light butter and maple syrup, they tasted great. I think the maple and the ginger and the pancake went well together.
I think if I make them again, I would try adding some maple flavoring or maybe even some syrup to the batter? It would definitely make it less healthy, but would add more flavor. I suppose I could add more of the pumpkin pie spice too.
Either way, these pancakes paired with fresh strawberries made for a delicious dinner with K (who was still in a post-surgery stupor, but was a champ and ate the bland pancakes anyways.) I had planned on pairing it with a Woodchuck Hard Cider, but drinking alcohol with on Codine is generally a bad idea, and I wanted K to live, so we just had tea.
All around a delightful dinner. Not to mention the Mac & Cheese book I got from N and the Kickboxing DVDs K got me for my birthday. That's right. I'm soon going to be one tough kickboxing, mac and cheese making domestic dive.
No comments:
Post a Comment