Tuesday, December 6, 2011

From Walker to Runner

So earlier this year I ran the Anthem Great Pumpkin 5k in Reston, VA put on by the Greater Washington Sports Alliance (where I interned back in college). It was the first real race I've ever run (Because those 2ks I ran back in middle school definitely don't count. 1.2 miles and it KILLED me). So the fact that I was paying money to run 3.1 miles is something I never would have pictured myself doing.

Anyways, I ran it in 34 minutes and 10 seconds which is exactly 11 minute miles. And considering I had only been running for a couple of months, I was pretty happy with it.

So when I discovered the Hot Chocolate 5k/15k I was excited. I wanted to run another 5k to see if I could beat my time. Only the 5k was sold out, so I decided to register for the 15k. 9.3 miles. What was I thinking.


Honestly, I just don't really have a lot of time to train, I did a couple long runs (about 7 miles) a couple of weekends in early November, but wasn't sure I would be able to run the entire thing.

Well, as of this weekend, I can now say that I ran an ENTIRE 15k in 1:43:15 which is an 11:05 minute mile.

I can't even believe it myself sometimes. That might my legs were so sore. Walking down stairs was an experience in itself.

But I really enjoyed the race- really. Aside from the shenanigans that took place before and after the race (an hour late start, waiting an hour and a half for a shuttle to my car) the race was great.

There was Chocolate Fondue


And Ghiradehlli Hot Chocolate.

Post Race Sweat and Sweet.

 Overall it was a pretty great day.

And I'm looking forward to my next race. I'm signing up for the Cherry Blossom 10 miler lottery so cross your fingers! Otherwise I might try the National Rock and Roll Half Marathon in March...

No comments:

Post a Comment