Thursday, December 8, 2011

I'll always be from Minnesota

You can take the girl out of Minnesota, but you can't take Minnesota out of the girl.

How true that is for me. (It's one of the reasons I want a tattoo in the shape of Minnesota's outline, sad, but so true.)

So when I discovered an Etsy shop that sold pillows in the shape of states, I feel in love, with the idea that is, not the price. No way I am paying $50 for something I can do myself. So I decided to give it a try. Minnesota has a pretty unique shape (although I feel like people don't recognize it when I show them, unless they are from the great state themselves).

I thought, if this works, it would be a great gift for K. I could make one in the shape of Missouri and one in the shape of South America for T (Chile is just too skinny to make by itself...) as a wedding present.

Anyways, it was a super easy project. I printed out an outline and enlarged it to fit on 2 pieces of 8.5" x 14" paper, cut it out and taped it together. I used some black fabric I already had (I plan on using sweatshirt material for K's).
Once I had 2 pieces cut out, I sewed almost all the way around it and stuffed it before I hand stitched the bottom closed. I need to work on making rounded corners with the sewing machine, but I think it was a success.

I think it's a perfect size! I cannot wait to make more of these. Missouri should be pretty easy (I hope) and South America will be a little tricky but I have 2 weeks to finish it.

No comments:

Post a Comment